Thursday, January 7, 2010

wrapped around his little finger

Tonight, we were sitting in the living room watching a football game, and Micah was playing on his own.  Quietly. Neither of those things are normal - which is why one of us should've had our guard up.  At one point, I looked at Dan and said, "Where'd he go?" 

(See, he has a new game that he enjoys.  He toddles down the hallway and finds whatever room we didn't close the door to, and he goes inside and shuts it and waits.  For us to come find him.  As long as we come quickly enough, he doesn't scream.  If we don't come chase him, he makes enough noise that we know what room he's in.  Once we open the door, he grins a huge grin and squeals with excitement - then promptly closes it in our face again.)

Thinking he was playing this super fun game, we pushed the mute button on the remote and listened to see which room he had gone into. 

I was sitting on the couch and Dan was on the floor.  All of a sudden, I heard a rustle behind me.  Our couch sits about 8 inches way from the wall so it doesn't block the heater vents.  A very large mouse.....or a tiny toddler.....was scurrying back and forth behind it.  I heard him go from one end of the couch to the other, and then he tiptoed around the end table at the end of the couch and stopped dead in his tracks - when he saw his daddy looking right at him (trying not to laugh, by the way).  Blue eyes met dark brown ones.  Micah knew he shouldn't be back behind the couch.  I swear he was deciding what to do next.  Then, in a moment that melted my heart completely, he toddled over to Dan, looked right at him and planted a big wet kiss right on his daddy's mouth.  He turned to look at me, walked over, and rewarded me likewise.  Then he turned and walked away.  It was all Dan and I could do to keep a straight face. 

That fleeting, silent moment was the highlight of my day. 

I love that kid more than I can explain. 

See, in Micah's World, all troubles are solved with a baby kiss.  I'm more than okay with that. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE that story! So cute.

Unknown said...

Kristen you are an awesome writer!! (The English teacher says)

background