Wednesday, January 6, 2010

calling all editors

Okay, so I said in my first post that in the SECOND post, I would spill the beans about how we chose the name for Micah's blog.  And, I didn't.  And now that two people in my world whom I love dearly have pointed that out, I guess it would be time to rectify my mistake.  Rectify...that's an impressive word for a snow day!

I digress...

It's not that I LIED exactly....it's more that I got caught up in the excitement of blogging about our fantastic trip to the museum and I was so eager to stay on top of things and blog on a regular basis that I, well, forgot.

I am 31 now, you know.

If you've spent any time with a child under the age of.....oh, let's say.....3, you might have had the distinct pleasure of hearing the theme song for Elmo's world - we often hear it during our daily viewing of Sesame Street.  Check out these lyrics:

This is the song,
la la la la,
Elmo's song,
La la la la,
La la la la,
Elmo's song
He wrote the music,
He wrote the words....
That's Elmo's song!

If you feel so inclined, you can even insert your own name and write your OWN song!  Big Bird and Snuffy did...

Elmo's Song

But wait, it gets even better!  Elmo has his own segment on Sesame Street called "Elmo's World" (along with a whole slew of DVD's in case you need even MORE of Elmo to fill your day), and the words to his theme song for the show go a little something like this:

La la la la,
La la la la,
Elmo's World,
La la la la,
La la la la,
Elmo's World.
Elmo loves his goldfish,
His crayon too,
That's Elmo's World!

The first time I heard that song, I was at my parents' house for Christmas.  It was the Christmas of 2007, and my sister and BIL had a brand-new baby, only 2 months old.  We had been trying to get pregnant for several months, so I was getting my baby fix holding Gavin.  All of a sudden, I heard one of Gavin's toys start singing this completely OBNOXIOUS song, and I distinctly remember telling Dan, "Oh my gosh, when we have kids, we are SO not listening to that over and over again.  How annoying!"

And God has a sense of humor....because not only did we get pregnant that very same Christmas, but the bundle of joy He blessed us with has developed a deep and lasting love for Elmo.

Now I would be lying if I said that it was love at first sight.  One night this summer, when he was about 8 or 9 months old, I found a video on youtube of the Elmo Song and I showed it to Micah.  Truth be told, I have never seen the kid move so fast as he tried to crawl up, over, around, however he could to get away from the scary, red, furry thing on the screen.  His little arms were wrapped around my neck and little whimpers would escape amidst looks of terror, from me back to the screen, back to me again.  Hmm..maybe this Elmo guy won't be a problem after all.

Fast forward to this (past) fall...I remember the first time I showed Micah an Elmo doll.  We were in Target and I took him down the Elmo aisle.  On purpose.  Hey, it's not as mean as it sounds.  I was "birthday shopping" and I thought it would be only fair to expose him to Elmo in small doses.  Like, before I intended to buy him.  I set the Elmo doll (who was just a doll, by the way - he didn't DO anything cool like talk or shake) down in the cart next to Micah, and he just about climbed out of the cart, swinging at the box and looking at it like there was a live snake inside.  We took that as a sign he wasn't quite.....ready?



However, as he's gotten older, he has grown to love Elmo.  He LOVES Elmo on TV.  He LOVES Elmo on books.  He LOVES Elmo on a plate or a sippy cup.  He doesn't LOVE Elmo the doll, but he is getting much more friendly toward him.  Oh yeah - we figured at 15 months, it was safe to bring Elmo the doll home.  Ahem, I mean Santa delivered him on Christmas morning. 

My point?  Elmo has become a huge part of "Micah's world".  And Micah is what OUR world revolves around.  So there you have it!  We feel blessed to be a part of "Micah's World" every day, and hope that you will be part of his world too! 

 Now - for your listening pleasure.....

Elmo's World

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah!//the proverbial...MY kids will never do that!!! Isn't it great!
Mom

background